When people think of snacking throughout the day, many imagine the land of empty calories: potato chips, cookies and soda. Well, I beg to differ. Snacking doesn’t have to be this way! I’m one of those people that has to eat between meals and if you’re like me, snacking strategically is vital to my daily happiness. Seriously, ever heard of the word, “hangry?”
With that being said, I’ve learned to let go of the sugary, fattening snacks that used to inhabit my office drawers. Not only was I sitting eight hours a day, but I was also feeding my body junk. Not a good combination when it was time to pull on my favorite skinny jeans the next morning.
Munching on food throughout the day doesn’t have to be bad for you! If you plan ahead and follow a few simple tips, snacking can benefit your daily health and your waistline.
Here’s how to tackle the snacking dilemma:
–Cut-up fresh fruits and vegetables beforehand for easy access. When you come back from the grocery store, go ahead and chop celery, strawberries, pineapple and other fruits and veggies to grab while you’re on the go. You can run into a problem when you are pressed for time and have to chop four stalks of celery.
–Prepare your snacks before work. If you’re on a time constraint, no problem. Putting snacks in Ziploc bags takes about five minutes OR you can bag snacks the night before.
–Switch it up! Every few weeks, change your snack lineup so you have more variety.
Check out the list of snack ideas below for some inspiration!
- Celery with peanut butter or almond butter topped with dried cranberries
- Graham crackers with peanut butter or almond butter
- Berry mix (Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries)
- Carrots or sliced bell pepper with low-fat ranch or hummus
- String cheese with wheat thins (I love the sun-dried tomato & zesty salsa flavors!)
- Almonds mixed with chocolate chips, dried cranberries and granola
- My dreamy Greek yogurt dip
- Cottage cheese mixed with fruit
- Pretzels or pita chips with hummus
- Any whole fruit that’s easy to munch on: Apples, peaches, oranges, banana, pineapple
- Homemade energy bites
- Tortilla chips w/ salsa
- Low-fat popcorn (My favorite brands are Skinny Pop and Boom Chicka Pop)
- Granola Bars (I love the KIND brand)
- Green tea
- Veggie chips (Various brands make chips with vegetables such as kale, sweet potato, beets, carrots and so much more! And they’re quite tasty). It’s also very easy to make your own! Check out this recipe here.
See, you can eat healthy at work with little effort! If you keep some of these snacks on hand, you will have no problem battling those vending machine cravings. If you have any more tips or ideas for easy snacks, share in the comment section below!