OK, so I love the holidays, who doesn’t? But sometimes my stomach and my jeans are better off with a lighter dish. All those creamy mashed potatoes and sinful dinner rolls can really catch up with you. Naan is my go-to bread for healthy meals. Whether I’m making pizza or dunking it into hummus, it has great flavor and is always satisfying.
The basil pesto parmesan naan is ideal for lunch or a light dinner with a glass of crisp white wine. Here’s a recipe for you to break away from the carb-loaded meals during this time of year.
Author: Kathryn at Down-Home Damsel
Recipe: Basil pesto parmesan naan
Prep & cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 (or 2 hungry people!)
- 1 naan (I used whole wheat, but you can use regular or garlic too. You can now find this Middle Eastern bread in most grocery stores.)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp basil pesto (I used this delicious, natural brand called Cucina & Amore from Fresh Market. It’s the best I’ve had so far! You can always make your own, of course)
- 4 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mozzarella
- 3 tbsp of parmesan, (I used fresh parmesan from Fresh Market. It makes such a difference.)
- 1 tbsp of Italian parsley or regular parsley, finely chopped
- Dash of pepper
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray small baking pan with non-stick spray.
Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil on one whole wheat naan bread. Add 2 tbsp of basil pesto and spread around on the bread with a spoon or knife. Add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and then top with red onion and tomatoes. Add rest of mozzarella and 2 tbsp of parmesan. Add half of chopped Italian parsley on top. (Save the remaining parmesan and parsley after the naan is done cooking.)
Cook for 8 minutes until tomatoes and red onion are tender. (The package says to only cook it for 5 minutes, but when vegetables are involved, more time is needed!)
When it’s done, sprinkle rest of parsley and parmesan. Cut into slices. Bon appetit!
The combination of the fresh basil pesto with the roasted veggies and melted cheese is simply decadent—in a healthy way!
Let me know what you thought about this recipe in the comments below. Thanks for reading everyone!